Monday, June 18, 2007

san isabel lake

Soft, lush grass piled beneath shimmering aspens. How could you not relax in a place like this?

Highway 36 was busy. At least half the traffic were rumbling Harleys. Because they, their passengers, and everyone around us spelled vacation, there was nothing disrupting about them.

We had a rough start to our camping expedition when we couldn't find a camping spot in the park I selected. A few miles down the road we found a lovely hodge-podge of a recreation park. This idyllic hill boasted everything from full hook-ups to a honeymoon cabin. They gave us a sloped spot away from the road beneath the aspens. We made it work even though I rolled into Mark every two hours all night long.

With every giggle, shriek, and howl at the moon from the kids camping below us came a pang of anticipation. We talked about how much more fun it will be when our kids are old enough to run. Then I visited the bathroom in the morning. One mother complained how she had been awake since 5:30 that morning mentally packing the trailer to go home that morning. We talked again about how much more work it will be when we have kids. I'll have to be organized so I can still enjoy camping!

The Nintendo chairs I have scoffed at for months finally proved their worth. We were able to snuggle comfortably close to our fire. Then, in the morning, I propped mine up in the shade and read from Valley of Vision. It was a perfect time of prayer until it got way too hot.

After a lovely breakfast we headed to San Isabel Lake. It had been two years since I saw it last, just a couple months before meeting Mark. I was in pursuit of Bishop's Castle, enjoying my drive through a new mountain range, when I came around the bend astonished. The sunlight was pure so the little lake nestled beneath the mountain tops glistened bright blue. There were few boats lazy on its surface. A few families fished from the shores. Other families and couples meandered on the path that encircled one side of the lake. I remember being dazzled by the bright colors and the calm that touched every living thing. Could it be real? It would cost me to drive around and look, so I moved on until some day that I could return.

As we drove near, I wondered how it would appear to me a second time. It was the same, but not a surprise. Eagerly, I helped clear camp so we could take the raft into the midst of this blue magic. I had never been on a raft, and was pleasantly surprised with how comfortable it was. I was nearly lulled to sleep. We drifted along for nearly three hours. Despite a hat and sunscreen I got my first real burn in years.

Wish you had been there.

No comments: