Sunday, February 19, 2006

Inspired by "Child in Aspens"

When I was a child I crawled like a child, very cautiosly at first. Then I crawled faster than my mother could walk, but she always had a way of reaching me.

When I was a child I walked like a child, with abandon. With newfound power and freedom I burst forth across the wide open field, until I reached the fence and I came running back home. Or I fell; I was closer to the ground back then.

When I was a child I danced like a child. I danced as a princess in her golden ballroom twirling and twirling and twirling around. When I was done twirling, I would start running, and I would run far, far away.

When I was a child there was no end and the horizon was a mystery I wanted to discover. The golden forest had no end, for I could not walk to the other edge. The ocean met a sky as elusive as the moon. As far as our boat could go the ocean stretched and stretched without end.

My steps grew longer until one day I saw that the trees, the golden trees, stopped growing at certain elevations. My motorboat was stronger and took me to another coast. On the other side I found strange customs and new forests which led to other oceans. There was a pattern, but no answer, and no longer any mystery.

My weary steps grow shorter so to carry me back home to those endless days in the golden aspen and the shining sea. When my hair is sterling I will go on twirling, twirling, twirling endlessly.

No comments: