Wednesday, July 11, 2007

monotonous?

Paint me a picture, she said. Tell me what a day in the life of our marriage would look like. So he told her.

I imagine he spoke of beginning the work mornings together. They would plan their showers around each other, grab a breakfast, and drive their separate ways. If the day allowed, they could meet for lunch when they could share a success story or how the copier broke at his office before a critical meeting, and how she spilled coffee on her new white suit minutes before meeting with an important donor. It would all be over too soon to enjoy each other or the expensive salad she hardly noticed. Part way through the afternoon, they would remind each other that she had to go here, and he had to there before they would see each other that night. And don't forget to get your cocktail dress cleaned for the banquet tomorrow.

Monotonous. That was the word she used to describe the marriage lifestyle. I laughed outright at the thought of her life ever being monotonous--maybe for a week. With your interests, I asked? What with the hiking excursions, a new book every week, trips to Europe, monthly visits with family, and dozens of friends? But I could see what she was saying.

My life could be described as monotonous, with my weekly, almost daily, schedule of housework. The work week seems unending and sometimes futile as I repeat the actions of yesterday--sweep, make dinner, wash dishes, make the bed, throw in a load of laundry, tug-of-war with the persistent dog in between chores. I do it this way so I have time to play or work with Mark on the weekends. That's what keeps it interesting.

"Play or work" doesn't sound exciting either, but every weekend is so different. We have put on a roof, loaded the two tons of shingles into a dumpster, camped, visited my parents, terraced the hill in our yard, planted, grown a lawn, repaired the sprinkler system, watched movies, hosted several guests, and a number of other activities. Simple. We have a simple life, but it is not monotonous. The interesting, significant parts are in the details.

No comments: