Friday, July 20, 2007

smile, you have a bear

I like to encourage people, but today it is I who have been encouraged.

This has, in ways I can not write of, been a dark month. It is also the month that marks my first anniversary at work. First Emily wrote the nicest announcement about me; then I had an unexpected e-card to celebrate the day; and now, a co-worker stopped by with Mr. Smiley Bear.

She is task-oriented. Most of the time she walks at a dead run. You know she accomplishes in one day what the rest of us accomplish in a week. So she came rushing toward my cubicle and handed me something with the words, "Here, you can have this for awhile." Have what?

In my hands was a purple bear stuffed inside a bag with smiley faces. "Hello," reads the paper paper-clipped to the side, "I'm the 'make your day' bear! Enjoy me for a while, then pass me along to someone who you'd like to make their day! Mr. Smiley Bear". Like I was supposed to do, I smiled.

I didn't know if the giving of the bear was thought-out or if she just needed it off her desk. Either way, the bear came at the right time.

What a creative idea to quietly share encouragement in the office. I hope you can use it.

No comments: